Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Everybody Loves Rankings Part II

    I'm starting to feel like I got the short straw in terms of leagues.  The AFC is pretty clear cut in every division except, perhaps, the North.  Meanwhile, I'm sitting here drawing teams out of hats.  The subject of this post will be the ever changing and ever frustrating NFC East.  I believe that it is the least talented division, but also the most competitive.  I see 9-7 or 10-6 winning the division.  I see a complete flip flop of the standings last year.....well maybe not, but you get the point.  This is a challenging one, and at no point shall I claim to be confident in my picks.  Now that you are ready to trust every word I say, let's check it out.



4. The Washington Redskins-Alright people are going to be really angry right off the bat.  Hear me out.  I understand RG3 is a stud.  A stud of the highest caliber.  But not everyone can come back from a horrific knee injury stronger than before right??  I'm going with my gut in saying that AP was an anomaly that will not be the norm.  This injury is going to slow down RG3.  I still think he is going to be an elite passer, but without his explosiveness a lot of the Redskins offense suffers.  Alfred Morris will not run as effectively if the opposing defenses don't have to worry about RG3.  This causes the play action pass to suffer, and that was Robert's bread and butter.  Seriously, I think they threw a PAP over the middle like 60% of the time I watched them play.  This team started off really slowly, and took advantage of close wins over good teams and decent wins over bad teams during their seven game winning streak to end the season.  Teams will wise up to the running QBs.  It is only a matter of time.  This offense has incredible potential.  I might eat this ranking.  Like full meal.  But seven of their nine wins came against teams at .500 or below.  That isn't strong.  They even lost to the woeful Panthers.

3. The Philadelphia Eagles-This offense is stacked.  LeSean McCoy ought to return to top five running back form, Michael Vick ought to be healthier, DeSean Jackson has top notch talent, Jeremy Maclin has proven he can run with the best of them, and now Bryce Brown has shown he has elite skills.  Chip Kelly's run and gun offense ought to flourish here with so many quick and agile athletes.  This team should put up some serious points.  More importantly, this team is no longer expected to do well.  They are not the self-proclaimed super team and just struggled through an injury plagued season that brought them down to Earth.  I feel changes in the wind.  Good changes.  Of course this could all be wrong and Chip Kelly could be just another college coach gone wrong, but John Harbaugh and Pete Carroll have shown that it is possible to strive in both.  I hope, nay I believe Kelly does the same.  It would make for incredibly exciting offense.

2. The New York Football Giants-Two time Super Bowl champions.  'Nough said.  These guys know how to win, but they did lose some key pieces in Ahmad Bradshaw and Osi.  I'm not sold on David Wilson or Andre Brown, otherwise I might have them higher.  Eli has proven he can win on the biggest stage of all, yet he continues to struggle during the regular season.  Is he bored?  Someone should tell Eli that going 8-8 in the regular season won't get you a wildcard berth every year.  I'm a little worried about Victor Cruz (his ego is getting large, and apparently he STILL isn't satisfied after signing that huge contract), and Hakeem Nicks hasn't been healthy for a while.  Even JPP has a little injury nagging him.  It concerns me a bit.  This team has a potentially stout offense, and a decent defense, but more importantly they have a champion at the helm.  I don't see them in the playoffs unless the Patriots make the Super Bowl.  In that case the Giants will beat them in the Super Bowl; even if they didn't originally make the playoffs.

1. The Dallas Cowboys-Alright this was a tough decision.  Tony Romo is a great quarterback.  You heard me, GREAT.  Maybe even elite.  He finished second in passing yards last season after a crazy last stretch that saw Dez Bryant finally come into his own.  Their receiving core is top notch, and they're coming off an incredibly difficult schedule from last year.  They lost only one game to a team under .500, and that was the Saints in overtime.  Their schedule looks much more favorable this year with the AFC West lined up, and I think they finally put it together this year.  Demarco Murray and Demarcus Ware are two incredible talents when healthy, and I'm finally feeling it for America's team.  I'm a little tired of watching Jerry Jones be sad, but I promise that only had a little effect on this ranking.

Maybe I'm out of my mind, but this division feels like I'm comparing apples to other equally tasty apples bought from different stores.  It's just a matter of personal preference.  They all have a chance, and I hope I come anywhere near the final results. Look out for the NFC North next.

No comments:

Post a Comment